I have a GREAT recipe for you guys today and I wish I could call it my own but I cannot! My sister pinned this and loved it…. and I did the same! Don’t you just love Pinterest? I mean after all these years it doesn’t get old for me and I still get 90% of my recipes on there!
I made just like 1 or 2 tweaks in this recipe that I will note for you guys!!!
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can white beans ( I used 2 cans, I thought the soup didn’t have enough “stuff” in it)
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, or breasts
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) diced fire-roasted green chiles
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, optional
- 4 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, optional
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Optional add-ins: pepper-jack cheese, sour cream, fresh lime, additional cilantro ( The Pepper-jack cheese MAKES the dish, USE IT! I also added in some Ranch seasoning to my sour cream for a little Ranch Sour Cream and it was perfect on top)
- In a large crockpot (I use a 6-quart crockpot) pour in the green enchilada sauce, drained and rinsed white beans, drained and rinsed black beans, and fat-trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts.
- Add the undrained diced fire-roasted green chiles, diced tomatoes (if desired, it’s great with or without them), chili powder, cumin, paprika, about 1 teaspoon salt (I prefer seasoned salt), about 1/4 teaspoon pepper, coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, and chicken broth or stock.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-5 hours or until the chicken easily shreds.
- Remove the chicken to another bowl and place in the softened cream cheese (cube into smaller pieces) into the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes or until the cream cheese melts completely and is easily stirred into the soup.
- Whisk the cream cheese until completely smooth.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and then add back into the soup.
- Serve with desired toppings. We love a big handful of pepper-jack cheese, fat-free sour cream, a wedge of lime, and some cilantro!
To go along with this dish I jazzed up a jiffy cornbread mix…. I made the mix according to the box and then added in 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup fresh diced jalapeño! And then when I served these bad boys I drizzled them with honey! TOO DIE FOR!!!!!!
Sorry my pictures aren’t too great but it was an after thought to blog this meal! To see the real pictures and recipe click HERE