Saturday Matt golfed all day and I was pretty lazy all day…. which I LOVE! SO Saturday was the perfect night to stay in and eat on our patio here at home! In the past few years I have just loved more and more working with Asian/Thai flavors and this burger hit the spot! This recipe is adapted from Clean Eating Magazine…. I just simplified it!
You all must try this and don’t be scared by the “Quick Pickle” of the veggies like I use to… it really is easy and worth it! And ya ya ya…. our frozen fries are not on the Clean Eating plan but it has been our guilty pleasure as of late!
Open Face Asian Turkey Burgers!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup peeled and matchstick-cut carrot
- 1/4 cup matchstick-cut radish
- 2 tbsp matchstick-cut jalapeño chile pepper, plus 1/4 tsp minced jalapeño, divided
- 2 1/2tsp sesame oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp packed finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 whole-grain sesame seed burger buns, split and toasted
- Arugula or other fresh greens
- In a small saucepan on medium high, combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup vinegar, peppercorns, 1 tbsp maple syrup and salt; bring to a boil. In a small heat-proof bowl, combine carrot, radish and 2 tbsp jalapeño matchsticks. Pour mixture over vegetables and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet on medium and brush with 1/2 tsp oil. Add onion, 1 tbsp minced ginger, garlic and remaining 1/4 tsp minced jalapeño and sauté until just softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and add Turkey, Panko, lime zest, cilantro, 1 tbsp soy sauce, stir until well mixed. Form mixture into 4 3/4-inchthick patties.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or grill pan on medium and brush with remaining 2 tsp oil. Cook patties for about 10 minutes, turning halfway, until browned and cooked through. (Alternatively, cook on a greased grill on medium for about 10 minutes, turning once.)
- Top each bun half with ketchup, greens and 1 patty. Drain vegetables, discarding liquid, and divide over top.
Semi-Homemade Spicy Ketchup!
TIP!! I make this ALL the time… for our fries, burgers, you name it this is so good!
Mix 1/3 cup Organic Ketchup
1 Teaspoon Sriracha
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
Dash of Pepper and Salt!
Mix and USE!
You guys I hope you all loved this meal as much as I did! Pop open a cold one and enjoy this meal on the patio with your family!!!