The past few weeks around casa de Savage were spent getting ready for my family to visit over Labor Day, it also wasn’t until I moved that I realized how much I enjoy “playing host”. Randomly I found this book at Anthropologie and it happens to fit this post perfectly….The Art of the Visit! I thought I would give you some…
Easy tips for making your own house guests feel at home!!!!
* Plan out each day!
This doesn’t mean hand out an itinerary but it is not your guests job to plan, this is their vacation. I just plan out ideas as well as all meals for my own benefit and I always make sure they can “Mix and Match” as well as having a back up or two!
* We clean clean clean! I always want our house looking it’s best when my family/friends visit because I think that helps promote a relaxed environment for us ALL!! And ya, these leopard place mats (Hobby Lobby) are pretty amazing!
* I wash enough towels for each person to have 1 plus a few extra, as well as hand towels and wash cloths! These cuties were on clearance at Kohl’s which makes it even better to please guests!
* In the shower as well as on the counter I keep EVERYthing a guest might need. Face wash, lotion, hair spray, eye make-up remover just to name a few! Don’t break the bank…….either
A. Buy new in brands you use so you can then use it once they leave
B. Pass on the toiletries (for the most part) that you have been using already! No one will care that their shampoo is 1/2 used!
* Matt “collects” mini-stuff from all the hotels he stays out so this is not only functional but looked pretty darn cute too!!!! Toothpaste anyone?
* This is on the wall in our guest room and I love to write out the weekend plans…..I also LOVE it when my guests leave and leave me a note in return! This was a frame that I got on clearance and after taking out the “plastic/glass” I used Martha Stewart chalkboard paint on the backing of the frame!!! Easy peasy….
* Stock the fridge…..enough said! We eat out 1/2 the time and I cook the other 1/2! Free pat on the back to anyone who guesses this amount……
* I also like to bake whether it be semi-homemade cookies or even puppy chow, it’s nice to have something sweet to snack on while guests are in your home!
* I also ask my guests (or know what my family enjoys) what they would like me to buy. Special drink? Snack or fruit? That is just another way I try to anticipate my house guests needs!
* Clean, wash and repeat!
* I laid out some of the new Fall magazines as well as some fresh flowers for Mom and Marissa in the guest room while they were here! I just snipped and dropped these flowers into a cute Anthropologie mug! My Mom loved the touch!
* My family got in Columbus at 9pm and they flew over dinner so I made sure to have a fun homemade snack ready!! Beer Cheese Pretzel Crescents! They were YUMMM…..you can see the recipe HERE!
* Lastly, everyone wants to feel special….so this year I went as a very exclusive and pricey chauffeur to pick up my family! Yes, I felt stupid and Yes, they loved it!
Maybe you were able to pick up an idea or two for the next time you have guests in your home!!!