What am I loving this Wednesday????? I am loving a documentary that has been made based on one of the most powerful books I have ever read………………
Friends, before I start this post I want you to know that when I talk/write about causes I believe in I feel such a heaviness in my heart to say the right words and to accurately express to you why you should care. Sometimes I think what am I doing? I need to do more? I know people who have left their lives to live in Africa (and other places) and make a real difference, what am I doing? What I am doing is…… what I can, everyone can do something no matter how big or small. I have brought many causes to my readers attention over the past 5 years for instance the atrocities that are happening in Taiji to the Dolphins. And I know that for a fact at LEAST 3 families watched that documentary due to my post and each of those families then spread the word and contributed to the cause. So I have to know that everything matters.
So I ask you to please take the time to really read my post below.
Ok guys, 3 years ago I read the book above and it touched me so much I lent the book to others and I did a blog post about the importance of the issues in the book. Here are just some of the astonishing facts……
– Every year over 2 Million women and girls will literally vanish due to gender discrimination such as sex trafficking, maternal death, honor killings and the list goes on.
– Do you know that in the last 50 years there have been more women and girls killed than all of the men who have been killed in every war during the twentieth century? Shocking…no one reports this.
– Currently there are over 3 million girls enslaved in the sex trade.
– Every single day the number of women who die in child birth is equivalent to 5 JUMBO JETS!!! While many more ares subject to still births, fistulas and then turn to suicide.
So take a minute a go back to my original post about this book to get caught up on what is Half the Sky, click HERE
I wish I had learned about the PBS 2 night documentaries based on this book before they aired the past 2 nights but good news is the 4 hour special will be airing again throughout the week. You can also watch the full length documentary on the PBS website.
You can go to www.pbs.org/halfthefky to find out more. Here is a brief trailer………………….
Now, to find out what you can do? How can you take action? Please visit the Half the Sky movement website where you can also learn about each women’s story. www.halftheskymovement.org or click HERE
Now!!!! Here is one small step that I am going to do… Today I am going to Barnes and Noble to purchase another copy of Half the Sky and I am going to give it away to ONE lucky reader! BUT I am asking something of you before you enter…..
1. I am going to write my name and email in the inside cover of the book
2. I want you to do the same
3. When you are done please give the book away on your Blog and ask the next recipient to do the same.
You don’t have a blog? No biggie……give it to a friend from Church, family or anywhere.
My hope is that the inside cover of the book will be filled with voices who will pass the book along. Knowledge is power and with everyone’s email addresses it will be wonderful to be intertwined with others who feel the same as I do.
How do you enter??????
1. Be a “follower” of my blog (on the right hand side 1/2 way down)
2. Leave me a comment and tell me one thing you are thankful for.
I will pick the winner Friday Morning!!!!! Also, feel free to pass this post around to friends….the more people who watch the documentary, the more people who can take action!