I have noticed several friends and fellow bloggers who have made a resolution to cook more at home and get more organized in the kitchen. People have also asked me what I do since I cook every night and usually new recipes? It is easy peasy………..
Here are my simple steps to organizing your food life……..
1. Every Sunday we have laundry/cleaning/grocery shopping day…….. I spend about only 30minutes in the morning making a list of things we need, days I am eating at home and what I will need for each meal. I also think about larger ingredients and if I use it one night can I fit it into another too?
2. I have this AMAZING Real Simple grocery list, you can get them at Target and they will last you 1 year. It is magnetic so as you run out of things you can just check the box for what you will need. Along the top I write out that weeks days and under each I write what we are having so I can keep track.
3. I have mentioned this before but I have 2 binders that I keep all my printed out recipes (food network shows I DVR and then like) along with ones I tear out of magazines. So I just browse these binders on Sunday and find what I feel like making for the week. And YES! I plan ahead, I never run out the day of and get things…….planning on Sunday and shopping in 1 day will not only save you money but time! Sunday nights I always cook something that I know will leave left overs for Matt and I to take to work!
TIP! Divide your binder into categories…..Chicken, Pasta, Lunch, Breakfast, Dessert…..
4. If you need some inspiration I got this new cookbook for Christmas ad I love it. The step by step pictures are great for experienced or new cooks alike!
5. So I have a resolution to get healthy and loose weight, I have never been on a diet so this is all new to me. The thing is I can not just cook chicken and a veggie every night I need to be inspired and cook new things each week ….so I JUST ordered the Hungry Girl cookbook! I will let you know how it turns out!
Friends, it is easy…………..and yes, I even cook every night even for just me! If I don’t I will eat crap. Here is a sample of a week that I would make and plan for on Sunday……..
Sunday Night- White Bean chicken chili
Monday- Rachael Ray’s Sorta-Portobella Caesar Salad
Tues- Pasta Dish
Wen- Fish and a salad (using the romaine I didn’t use from the other night) I buy frozen tilapia and pan sear it and in 10 minutes WHAM dinner!
Thursday- Fish Tacos (with the left over romaine and fish)
Remember to browse me “In the kitchen” section for easy recipes I love and comment me with any questions! Happy Cooking and Here’s to hoping I can stick to a resolution!