You are what you eat?

So I watched Oprah about a week or two ago and she had Michael Pollan as her guest and they were discussing his new book Food Rules. This book is small, witty and to the point. And what it is not? A self help or a diet book. This is a short and eye opening read with one chapter called “The whiter the bread, the sooner you will be dead”. This is a good read really for anyone who wants to eat healthier and it is really food for thought.
Michael is also the master mind behind this documentary which I am dying to see. I will let you all know my “review” when I get around to watching this. I am timid because I worry that they will try to “shock & awe” you with gruesome images of slaughter which would kill me. A great friend of mine Allison (B) once said “I will always love my steak but all animals deserve respect in life and in death” And that really struck a cord with me and she could not of been more spot on.

I am always wanting to learn something new, discover a read new book/movie or read something that will strike a point in me and food is the main thing that brings people together. With that being said I think what we put in our mouths does deserve a tad more thought that the wait at a drive thru line…..I am working on it!

1. No Longer Newlyweds.
    February 17, 2010 / 4:26 pm

You'll have to tell me about the book. I watched that episode of Oprah and learned so much.I even tried Chipotle for the first time after hearing them say how healthy it was.

February 17, 2010 / 6:14 pm

Let me know what you think of the documentary. I believe God put animals on this earth for us to eat and so I EAT MEAT!!!

3. Crystal
    February 17, 2010 / 10:01 pm

That documentary is awesome…but, I want to buy all local now! And be prepared, it is shocking and you will be disgusted by how some animals are treated. I was!

4. Traci Anne
    February 18, 2010 / 4:42 pm

Food, Inc. is very difficult to watch… As an animal lover it killed me what they do to the animals. I didn't go to the grocery store for about two weeks. Everything in there is "corn"… You'll see when you watch it.

5. Caroline
    February 18, 2010 / 5:07 pm

You should check out his other books! I really want to read In Defense of Food. I bought The Omnivores Dilemma ages ago but lost it or boxed it up after I read the first half. It's broken into three sections and the first is entirely about the corn industry/ HFCS – the economics and politics of what goes on our plates is especially interesting.

6. The Foster's
    February 20, 2010 / 4:18 pm

Food, Inc is a great documentary, but be prepared to only eat fresh fruit and veggies until your stomach and mind settle back down! I really enjoyed it, but I check where my meat is from and random other stuff that I learned from the movie. I wish that we had a farmer like the one from Alabama around here. FYI… Crest buys local Oklahoma beef, which you will appreciate after you watch this. I want to get that book, thanks for sharing!